Building Contractor Comfort
Your home is your most valuable asset, not only because of the time and money that you invest in the purchase and upkeep of your property, but also because of the fond memories that result from creating the perfect home for you and your family. Whether building from scratch or renovating an existingÂ structure, great care should go into selecting the team that will help you with the project.
To ensure that building your dream home delivers the full potential financially, functionally and aesthetically, here are some tips to keep in mind when selecting a building contractor:
- Plan your budget carefully and communicate in writing exactly what you want done by the contractor.
- When choosing a contractor ensure that they are registered with the necessary statutory bodies such as the:
– Receiver of Revenue
– Workman’s Compensation Insurance
– National Home Builders Registration Council
– Building Industry Bargaining Council
- Ensure that your contractor has the necessary insurance and that their contract covers accidents such as excavated soil damaging your property.
- Obtain references for previous work carried out by the contractors on your shortlist
- Make sure that you get a detailed cost estimate before you commit to a contractor. This must spell out exactly what work will be done and the materials to be used.
- Be wary of a contractor that requests a deposit, unless it is for special materials and specific needs.
- Beware of unrealistically low quotations.
- Ensure the timescales for the work to start and finish are included in the agreement.
- Only sign acceptance of the contract once you have a clear, unambiguous quote in writing. Ensure that it contains items such as site clearance, housekeeping and health and safety.
- Get the cost of any additional work in writing, before the work is carried out.
Follow these tips, choose wisely and enjoy the end results!